I’m a Ph.D. student in Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, supervised by Dr. Lan Du and Prof. Wray Buntine, since late 2015. I received my M.Eng from Nanjing University in 2014 and B.Eng from Nankai University in 2011, respectively.
I’m interested in statistical machine learning and data mining, especially probabilistic generative models. My Ph.D. project focuses on Bayesian matrix/tensor factorisations for discrete data (e.g. documents and relational networks), which can be applied into text analysis, social networks, and recommendation systems. I’m also interested in other related areas such as Bayesian nonparametrics, inference algorithms, and deep generative models.
Besides my supervisors, I also work with Dr. Piyush Rai at IITK and Dr. Mingyuan Zhou at UT Austin.
I’m expected to graduate in late 2018.
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, P. Rai, “Bayesian Multi-label Learning with Sparse Features and Labels, and Label Co-occurrences”, to appear in Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS) 2018. Link
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, “A Word Embeddings Informed Focused Topic Model”, in Asian Conference on Machine Learning (ACML) 2017. Link
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, G. Liu, “MetaLDA: a Topic Model that Efficiently Incorporates Meta information”, a regular paper in International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM) 2017. Arxiv / Code / Link
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, “Leveraging Node Attributes for Incomplete Relational Data”, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML) 2017. Arxiv / Code / Link
- H. Hu, J. Huang, H. Zhao, Y. Wen, C. Chen, T. Chua, “Social TV Analytics: a Novel Paradigm to Transform TV Watching Experience”, ACM Multimedia Systems Conference 2014. Link
- H. Zhao, C. Peng, Y. Yu, Y. Zhou, Z. Wang, S. Du, “Cost-aware Automatic Virtual Machine Scaling in Fine Granularity for Cloud Applications”, International Conference on Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery 2013. Link
- Q. Yang, C. Peng, Y. Yu, H. Zhao, Y. Zhou, Z. Wang, S. Du, “Host Load Prediction Based on PSR and EA-GMDH for Cloud Computing System”, International Conference on Cloud and Green Computing 2013. Link / Best Paper Award
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, G. Liu, “Leveraging External Information In Topic Modelling”, to appear in Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS) 2018.
- Q. Yang, C. Peng, H. Zhao, Y. Yu, Y. Zhou, Z. Wang, S. Du, “A New Method Based on PSR and EA-GMDH for Host Load Prediction in Cloud Computing System”, Journal of Supercomputing 2014. Link
- AISTATS Travel Award, 2018
- ICML Travel Award, 2017
- Co-funded Monash Graduate Scholarship, 2016-
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (FIT, Monash University), 2015-
- National Scholarship (2013); Example of Excellent Post-graduates (2013); Excellent Graduate (2014) in Nanjing University
Working and Research Experiences:
- Visited Dr. Changyou Chen at SUNY Buffalo
and Dr. Mingyuan Zhou at UT Austin, Nov, 2017
- Teaching Associate, Data Wrangling (FIT5196), Monash University, Semester 1, 2016
- Tutor, Computer Systems (COMP30023), The University of Melbourne, Semester 1, 2015
- Visiting Research Student, School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Supervised by Prof. Yonggang Wen, Nov 2013 - May 2014
Volunteer of AISTATS 2018; Sub-reviewer of ACL 2018; Sub-reviewer of AAAI 2017; PC member of UAI 2017; Volunteer of UAI 2017; Volunteer of IJCAI 2017