I’m a Ph.D. student in Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, since late 2015. I’m working with Wray Buntine and Lan Du, and also extensively collaborating with Piyush Rai and Mingyuan Zhou.
I received my M.Eng from Nanjing University in 2014 and B.Eng from Nankai University in 2011, respectively. I was a visiting research student in Nanyang Technological University in 2014.
I’m interested in statistical machine learning, especially probabilistic (deep) generative models for discrete data, e.g. texts and social networks.
My thesis panel members are Reza Haffari and Dinh Phung.
- Nov 2018: The code for our NIPS 2018 paper is released.
- Oct 2018: Our NIPS 2018 paper is released.
- Oct 2018: Serve as a reviewer for ICML 2019.
- Sep 2018: For NIPS 2018, one paper is accepted and I’m ranked as one of the top 30% highest-scoring reviewers.
- Aug 2018: Serve as a reviewer for ICLR 2019.
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, M. Zhou, “Dirichlet Belief Networks for Topic Structure Learning”, in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS) 2018. PDF / Arxiv / Code
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, M. Zhou, “Inter and Intra Topic Structure Learning with Word Embeddings”, in International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML) 2018. PDF / Code / Link
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, P. Rai, “Bayesian Multi-label Learning with Sparse Features and Labels, and Label Co-occurrences”, in Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS) 2018. Link
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, “A Word Embeddings Informed Focused Topic Model”, in Asian Conference on Machine Learning (ACML) 2017. Link
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, G. Liu, “MetaLDA: a Topic Model that Efficiently Incorporates Meta information”, a regular paper in International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM) 2017. Arxiv / Code / Link
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, “Leveraging Node Attributes for Incomplete Relational Data”, International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML) 2017. Arxiv / Code / Link
- H. Hu, J. Huang, H. Zhao, Y. Wen, C. Chen, T. Chua, “Social TV Analytics: a Novel Paradigm to Transform TV Watching Experience”, ACM Multimedia Systems Conference 2014. Link
- H. Zhao, C. Peng, Y. Yu, Y. Zhou, Z. Wang, S. Du, “Cost-aware Automatic Virtual Machine Scaling in Fine Granularity for Cloud Applications”, International Conference on Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery 2013. Link
- Q. Yang, C. Peng, Y. Yu, H. Zhao, Y. Zhou, Z. Wang, S. Du, “Host Load Prediction Based on PSR and EA-GMDH for Cloud Computing System”, International Conference on Cloud and Green Computing 2013. Link / Best Paper Award
- H. Zhao, L. Du, W. Buntine, G. Liu, “Leveraging External Information In Topic Modelling”, in Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS) 2018. Link
- J. Capdevila, H. Zhao, F. Petitjean, W. Buntine, “Experiments with learning graphical models on text”, in Behaviormetrika 2018. Link
- Q. Yang, C. Peng, H. Zhao, Y. Yu, Y. Zhou, Z. Wang, S. Du, “A New Method Based on PSR and EA-GMDH for Host Load Prediction in Cloud Computing System”, Journal of Supercomputing 2014. Link
- Travel Awards: NIPS 2018, ICML 2018, AISTATS 2018, ICML 2017
- Co-funded Monash Graduate Scholarship, 2016-
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (FIT, Monash University), 2015-
- National Scholarship (2013); Example of Excellent Post-graduates (2013); Excellent Graduate (2014) in Nanjing University
Working and Research Experiences:
- Gave a talk at the R&D lab of Trusting Social on “Topic Structure Learning”, invited by Prof. Dinh Phung, Oct, 2018. Slides
- Visited Toutiao AI Lab (hosted by Dr. Hang Li) and gave a talk on “Poisson Matrix Factorisation with Side Information” , July, 2018, Slides
- Visited Dr. Changyou Chen at SUNY Buffalo
and Dr. Mingyuan Zhou at UT Austin, Nov, 2017
- Teaching Associate, Data Wrangling (FIT5196), Monash University, Semester 1, 2016
- Tutor, Computer Systems (COMP30023), The University of Melbourne, Semester 1, 2015
- Visiting Research Student, School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Supervised by Yonggang Wen, Nov 2013 - May 2014
- Journal reviewer: TPAMI, TNNLS, KAIS
- Conference reviewer or PC member:
ICML 2019, ICLR 2019, AAAI 2019, NIPS 2018 (top 30% highest-scoring reviewer), ACML 2018, UAI 2017, ACL 2018 (sub-reviewer), AAAI 2017 (sub-reviewer)
- Student volunteer:
AISTATS 2018, UAI 2017, IJCAI 2017